I feel like a kid in a candy store when I walk into a race Expo. I immediately am surrounded by a contagious excitement for the upcoming race, running products to buy and best of all, FREE SAMPLES.
I am not ashamed to admit that I will walk the entire expo to eat and drink all the free samples, get free massages and sign up for future race discounts. It’s pretty rare that I end up liking a new product enough to buy/blog about it, however, but one product at the Hot Chocolate 15K/5K Expo was an exception.
Vital Proteins Collagen PeptidesI have been seeing and hearing a lot about these bright blue packets lately so when I saw the reps at the Expo, I went over to see what they’re all about (and to get my free samps of course!). I was surprised to learn that Vital Proteins makes a few different products in addition to the collagen peptides, including “beauty greens,” whey protein, and beef liver capsules. For this post, however, I’m going to focus on Collagen Peptides.
What is Collagen?
- The most abundant protein in the body
- Considered the “glue that holds the body together”
- A key component of all connective tissues
- A primary building block of skin, hair, nails, bones, tendons, joints and cartilage
- Provides the infrastructure of the musculoskeletal system, which is essential for mobility
What are Peptides?
- Short chain amino acids naturally derived from collagen protein
Benefits of Collagen
- Promotes youthful skin, healthier hair, and stronger nails
- Helps keep bones healthy and strong
- Supports joint health
- Vital for strengthening blood vessels and giving skin its elasticity and strength
- Contributes to a balanced diet and helps maintain weight
- Natural glycine promotes healthy immune, digestive and central nervous systems
Why Supplement with Collagen?
As we get older, our body’s production of collagen begins to slow down and cell structures start losing their strength. As a result, skin starts to become fragile, less elastic and wrinkles start to set in. In addition, hair starts losing its color, joints lose their flexibility, and bone quality begins deteriorating. Supplementing with collagen is a vital way to help your body rejuvenate and stay youthful.
How to take Collagen
Mix collagen into any liquid (a smoothie, your hot coffee, water, etc.) or any recipe. Vital Proteins offers both flavored and unflavored options that are highly digestible and absorb quickly.
Nutritional Information (per 10g packet)
Ingredients: Grass-Fed, Pasture-Raised Bovine Hide Collagen Peptides
Its macros and ingredient list look pretty good to me! I’m excited to try out my free samples of this product and possibly purchase more.
If you are currently taking collagen peptides, what changes (if any) have you noticed?